No time is as good as this month for beginners to dig a bit deeper into the scripting of one of the world’s most read literary text, the Bhagavad Gita.
Some facts of Bhagavad Gita:
- How many chapters and verses comprise the Bhagavad Gita?
Eighteen chapters and 700 verses.
- Of which epic is the Bhagavad Gita a part?
It is a part of the monumental epic poem, the Mahabharat.
- In which language is the Gita written?
- Why is the text called a ‘Gita’?
A Gita is a song and this text is written in specific metres that can be sung. It is Bhagavad Gita since it is a Song of the Divine.
- Who are the main characters in this text?
The entire text is in the form of a conversation between Bhagavan Shri Krishna and Arjuna .
- What led to the conversation between Bhagavan Krishna an Arjuna?
Arjuna was filled with doubt on the battlefield of Kurukshetra. After looking at his opposing team, he realized that his enemies were none other than his own relatives, friends, even his Guru and other teachers. He was overwhelmed. He dropped his weapon and sought the advice of his charioteer Bhagavan Krishna.
Responding to Arjuna’s confusion, the Lord explained to Arjuna his duties as a Kshatriya warrior and prince. This discourse comprises Bhagavad Gita.
- How did King Dhrtrastra know of the activities on the battle-field although he was blind?
Sanjaya was granted the gifts of clairvoyance and clairaudience by VedVyas and was able to narrate the activities to the blind King.
- Why did King Dhrtarastra refuse the gift of vision that VedVyas offered him so that he would see the actual battle ?
Dhritarashtra declined this boon, for he felt that seeing the carnage of his kinsmen would be more than he could bear. He said to VedVyas that in times of unity and harmony when all was well, he could not see, then why would he want to view a battle of bloodshed between his sons and nephews.
- Why was Bhagavan Krishna on the side of the Pandavas, and not with the Kauravas’ ?
Before the battle began, both Arjuna and Duryodhan of the Kauravas army visited Bhagavan Krishna for assistance. The Lord informed both that he would not fight but offered them two choices: to have his army or Him on their side. Arjuna asked that Bhagavan drive his chariot during the battle. Duryodhan was quite happy to have the army of the Lord. Each had his desire fulfilled.
- How long did the Mahabharat war last and which side eventually won?
The war lasted 18 days with the Pandavas emerging winners.